Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Post built-in commits changes in the database (Forms v10.1.2.0.2, Win 2003)
Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #454840] Fri, 07 May 2010 12:51 Go to next message
quigs
Hi All,

I have been testing out a form using 10.1.2.0.2 on a v10.2.0.1 db and in my local env. the form works correctly i.e. if I make a change and 'post' it and then exit and press NO (when asked to save changes) then it correctly leaves the value in the database as it originally was.

The process works by the user pressing a button in form A (read only form) and this opens form B (using open_mode,session,activate) and the user makes their change(s) in form B (a 'post' command is issued in a When New Rec Inst trigger on a db block when the user navigates to a new record within the same block if it is determined that the block status <> 'QUERY') before returning to form A and pressing 'NO' when prompted to save changes.

However, if I run the same process in the TEST env. using the same executable against the same database then it actually updates the database value.

I have tested this by adding a debug message at the end of form B to retrieve the db value back AFTER having issued a clear_form(no_commit) just for the sake of the test and it still returns me the 'new' i.e. amended value - which is obviously incorrect.
From what I can see it would appear that the commit occurs straight after the 'post' has been issued and well before the user even exits the form.

Is this a known bug with the 'post' built-in or could it be that a parameter is set to act in this way (i.e. is there an 'autocommit' setting that is 'ON') within the application server?

I would appreciate an urgent response as I am due to deploy the form in the production env. very soon.

Kind regards,

Tom
Re: Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #454843 is a reply to message #454840] Fri, 07 May 2010 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
First thing I would do is use sqlplus to query the data as you change it to work out exactly what point it gets committed.
Re: Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #454844 is a reply to message #454843] Fri, 07 May 2010 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quigs
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I have checked it via TOAD and it shows the db value changed after exiting form B and returning to form A. However I know that with debug messages in Forms itself that the value has already been changed and committed before form B is exited as I use a select statement against the db (within the form) after the clear_form(no_commit) command before the exit_form statement.

Kind regards,

Tom
Re: Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #454867 is a reply to message #454844] Fri, 07 May 2010 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That doesn't necessarily prove anything, by default clear_form rolls back to the last savepoint, where as exit_form rolls back every change made in the form. The only way to know for sure when the data is committed is to see when it becomes visible to another session like TOAD.
Re: Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #455059 is a reply to message #454840] Mon, 10 May 2010 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Do you have any 'ddl' commands in your form? For example, turning 'off' or 'on' a constraint.

Do you call any database procedures that may have a 'commit' in them?

David
Re: Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #455146 is a reply to message #455059] Mon, 10 May 2010 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quigs
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.
I don't believe there to be anything in place that would cause the issue (as you've outlined) but would need a further check.

Looking into it further, I even removed all of the logic that is within the WNRI trigger on the block in question apart from the 'post' statement and the process still incorrectly saves the change when not asked to do so.
I then changed form A to call form B via call_form (rather than open_form) and found that although the record didn't save, it caused other issues to appear.
My solution is to call form B from form A in open_form 'NO_SESSION' parameter mode and this has allowed the process to work correctly.
Additionally, realising that the 'No changes to apply' and 'Calling form has unsaved changes' messages were being generated by the source form A have handled them as well.
Subject to the user saying that testing has been successful then I'll leave things as that.
The question I have is why is there an implicit commit applied with the open_form in SESSION mode - regardless of what actions you take. Is it a bug in forms internal processing?

Kind regards,

Tom
Re: Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #455151 is a reply to message #455146] Mon, 10 May 2010 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I don't think any of us is aware of such a thing, and if you want an educated guess, you really need to pin down the exact point at which the commit is happening.
Re: Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #455276 is a reply to message #455146] Mon, 10 May 2010 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
You need to read closely the documentation associated with 'open_form'. This is quite different to 'call_form' in that the old and new form are BOTH capable of doing work where with 'call_form' only the new form is capable of doing work.

David
Re: Post built-in commits changes in the database [message #455465 is a reply to message #455276] Tue, 11 May 2010 12:16 Go to previous message
quigs
Hi David,

Thanks for your update.
As the parent form is a data retrieval form only and there are no commits within it (the user can't make any actual changes in the form) then I would think that the OPEN_FORM no_session mode should be ok but I take on board what you've said.

Kind regards,

Tom
Previous Topic: Help!!!!!! How do I use multiple Buttons to sort columns
Next Topic: FRM-40735: ORA-01400
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 17:55:59 CDT 2024